Does water damage happen immediately? The answer to this question is no. It is a gradual process that takes place slowly and damages things around it.
Moreover, the problem of water damage is one of the worst issues that can create havoc in an individual’s life. Water damage in basements or rooms calls for extensive repair.
Apart from it, water damage causes mold growth and structural damage to the house. The harm is capable enough to waste your lifelong investment in building the property. However, you can stop it from happening by recognizing its signs and treating them on time.
Some of the signs of structural damage to the house are water stains on the wall, water damage inside walls, cracks in walls, and many more. According to experts in water damage repair and restoration, there are various causes of water damage, like natural calamities and broken underground water supply, etc. Apart from that, leakage in plumbing systems and pipes, faulty household electrical appliances, leaky toilets, and broken water heaters can also lead to water damage.
Humans can easily prevent many causes of water damage if they inspect things on a regular basis. Now, the question arises how quickly can water damage ruin the property? When should you inspect them? How can you fix them? Let us answer your questions in this blog.
What is the Right Time to Start the Water Restoration Process?
Well, according to water damage restoration experts, if you want to minimize the overall damage to your property, the restoration process must be started within 24 hours after the damage. Take these measurements to assess and reduce the destruction.
- Identify the water source and shut it off
- Clean your surface and take out the extra water
- Inspect your house to locate other sources or leaks and shut them off with nozzles
- Cut off electric supply if the damage is severe
- Cover electric appliances and other vulnerable things with plastic or waterproof material
- Call the water removal services as soon as possible
Water damage can ruin your dream home faster than you think. Ensure to take vital steps within 24 hours to limit the damage.
What is Water Mitigation?
Water mitigation is the first step in the cleaning process of water damage. In this process, water mitigation helps prevent further damage to the property. It includes important works like moisture control, removal of water, structural drying, etc.
All in all, water mitigation is an immediate response delivered by water damage restoration companies. It is the first process they will conduct after arriving at your property. This process is executed to stop further destruction like crumbled walls, short circuits, mold growth, and buckled floor.
7 Crucial Steps to Take in Case of Heavy Water Damage
Look for the Source of the Damage
If the water damage is due to natural calamity, you could not have prevented it, but if it is caused within your home, then your first step is to uncover the source of leakage.
Follow these given steps to identify the spot-
- Inspect bathroom and other water sources
- Check the walls, ceilings, plumbing pipes, water heater, etc
- Look after the electrical appliance hoses, connections, furniture
- Search your whole house or follow the leakage source
If you get the source, then shut off the main valve to prevent further water damage. Despite the attempts, if you didn’t get the origin of the water, immediately call your local plumber for help.
Protect Yourself, Your Family, and Your Valuable Possessions
Water damage releases contaminated water that can harm your or your family’s health and intensify mold growth in your house. Therefore, it is important to safeguard precious lives and belongings from disaster. Do these things to protect yourself and your family from a life-threatening situation.
- Shut off the main electrical power switch
- Leave the house and area as soon as possible in case of a flood
- Do not return until authorities give the green signal
- Take shelter under a safe place
- Wear protective gear like waterproof boots and rubber gloves while getting back to the same place
- Protect your documents, belongings, and appliances by closing off the house properly
Try to Dry Things
After recovering from the water flooding, ensure to start the drying process within 24 hours to minimize the harm. Also, make sure to call the best water removal services. Do these things to start the drying process until they arrive.
- Lift all the wet furniture from the flooded area and place them in a safe spot
- Open all doors and windows to dry the home dry
- Ensure to place aluminum foil under the legs of the furniture
- Remove all the carpets and rugs from the water-damaged area and hang them to get dry
- Take out excess water
- Check electric appliances and furniture
- Cover wires with waterproof material
- Avoid turning on electric appliances instantly
- Complete the drying process within 3 to 4 days; otherwise, molds will start covering your house.
Identifying Mold and Mold Types
Mold can easily grow in a moist place within 24 hours. However, you can safeguard yourself from the symptoms of mold sickness by identifying mold types. Consider these points to execute the task-
- After the water damage, look for the signs of mold growth on walls, ceilings, floors, etc
- Clean the mess as soon as possible
- Dry out the home
- Take the help of nearby cleaners to clean froth, bleach, and soap
- Avoid touching the mold with bare hands if you find any
- Always wear protective gear while cleaning the mold
- Take professional assistance for mold inspection and removal if the mold has covered the excess area
Clean, Repair, and Restore
Before you start the cleaning process, ensure you have disinfecting cleaners. It is a vast process that may take hours. You need to be careful while executing it. Otherwise, it can worsen the situation by damaging your property further. Check these points while executing the process-
- Buy efficient cleaners, and read the label to ensure the quality
- Check whether it works best for the best material or not. It must suit the floor and material
- Clean everything with a disinfectant, including walls, ceilings, floors, doors, and windows
- Wear protective gloves
- Avoid directly touching contaminated fluids, chemicals, objects, and water
Take Professional Assistance
Remember that the water damage restoration team will come as soon as possible. Call them as soon as you can post interior flooding or basement flooding.
Now, the question arises why a pro is hired for the work? The reason is you don’t know the exact extent of the damage. It can be anywhere, like behind the walls, windows, or ceilings. You need to hire a reputable water damage restoration company to ensure the safety of your property.
They will inspect your whole house properly to assess the damage. After that, they will start their restoration work, like drying, replacing things, repairing home parts, etc.
Call the Insurance Company
Once you find the damage is excess, call your insurance company as soon as possible. Now the question is, what type of water damage is covered by homeowners insurance? Well, different companies have varied schemes for water damage insurance, and it is the homeowner who very well knows what policy he has taken. It is written in the policy contract. Go through the documents to understand them.
Apart from it, take detailed photos of the damage for the record before cleaning the mess. It means you must document each and every item which you think is damaged and take as many photos as needed before, during, and after cleanup. This step will help the insurance company adjuster assess the property’s real damage.
The Bottom Line
These are a few vital steps you must take after the flooding or heavy water damage. It is best to get water removal services as soon as possible to do the needful.
You can take the help of L&S Turnkey Plumbing and Restoration Company. They have been in this field for over 20 years and can easily meet your expectations. In short, they are the one-stop solution for all needs starting from leak detection to serious water damage restoration. No matter what time you call, they are always there to help you in Temecula and its surrounding areas.